Monday, March 31, 2014

Evelyn McHale





Evelyn McHale leapt to her death from the Empire state building in 1947. You can read a bit more about it here if you really want to. Her death was captured in photos moments after she leapt as a photographer happened to be there. It feels awful and voyeuristic and has been dubbed 'a beautiful suicide' which doesn't sit well with me.

Andy Warhol did a series of prints based on the photos. When does 'art' just become exploitative? Undoubtedly Warhol was great at many things, but everything I read and watch about him makes me think he was more of a cunning asshole than people want to admit, so blinded by his 'genius' that they are
But then, I'm an asshole on the internet reproducing the pictures too, some people and moments ought never be forgotten, clearly I never knew her, but her name is with me now.

Pics from Tumblr and Link above

X

1 comment:

  1. Awful and voyeuristic? Yes. But I can't stop looking at her. She's gorgeous and it's mind boggling that she can be so beautiful after such a devastating fall.

    ReplyDelete