Thursday, March 27, 2014

Books since January


Already posted about Fahrenheit 451, a dedicated Gatsby post coming soon (what a beautiful book) and I'm re reading the diary of Anne Frank at the moment. I read it when I was 10, and of course, missed gigantic portions of its significance. It's so heart breaking every time she makes some reference to her future, as you already know what is going to happen. Here is the only known footage of her:


Can't get the pics off my phone at the moment, but it's not Instagram, here's the others:


A lot of graphic novels lately, they're so good for the bus when you're trying not to fall asleep after a long day, they grab your attention. Maus is chillingly brilliant, but terribly sad. Art Spiegelman really was onto something with the simple concept of drawing Jews as mice and Germans as cats, it sounds slightly bizarro when you try to explain it to someone, but it really is worth the read, but be warned, many tears may follow


Ghost World was great, didn't even take me a day, just a good quick read, who didn't have made up names for regulars they saw in the community. I remember a friend and I coined the name 'Itchy and Scratchy' for one guy who always had his hands in his pockets at the tram stop near my high school. It was a Girls School and when we found out he was arrested for public masturbation, the Itchy and Scratchy name became  a whole lot less funny. Ghost World reminds me a lot of just pointless youthful concerns, like the jeans at the bus stop and the Norman Norman Norman graffiti, all together a great work. The film kind of captures the air of it well


Persepolis was GREAT! I loved it, everything I'd head about it was true. Marjane was born and grew up in Iran, and then during the Iran-Iraq war her parents sent her to Austria. Relationships, friendships, homelessness, war, death and sadness follow. Well worth the read, I also borrowed the film (I love my Uni library) and that's great too, Trailer here. Many things we take for granted, like posters and the freedom to walk down to the shops are explored in both, really beautiful.


I re-read the BRILLIANT V for Vendetta, I could talk endlessly about it, it is a hands down all time favourite. I head that Moore and Lloyd didn't *really* like the film too much, they thought it was a bit more about American politics as opposed to British.
I think the film captured the overall essence of the comic shall we say? very well. The romanticism of the character of V is done really well, his love of art and history and of course freedom and people is captured brilliantly. Both the film and novel hold a special place in my heart.

There we go, I am sure no one will read this, but there's no harm in recommending good books for cyber friends. 

Pics from Pinterest

X





No comments:

Post a Comment